Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Discovery

First of all, thanks for all the well-wishes in the comments. I'm fortunate in my depression that I've been through it enough times to know what's happening and to know, even at my worst, that it will lift. I can even roughly predict when. It's just a matter of getting through it, one day at a time. Part of that is making myself get up and do things, like blog!

The last couple days have been about delighted discovery, thanks to the prompts at HSMSHS.

Yesterday's prompt was "handle", and before I could start I had to "get a handle" on myself. I was so discouraged at first, thinking that I surely didn't have any good handles in my space (whatever a good handle is!). I just live in a boring house in the country! No fun handles here! I had the vague idea that if I waited for the girls to get home from school I could pose one of them with the shovel to get an interesting handle, but they were totally uncooperative with that idea.

Kids these days!

So I stayed indoors and started searching. Much to my delight, I started finding all kinds of handles! Besides the obvious door handles, there were all kinds of handles on briefcases and bags, shovels, sleds, appliances, the piano lid, the wood stove, the grandfather clock. I spent a good hour quite happily snapping photos of handles at different angles and settings. I now have a fun little file of handles and a new way of looking at my space. Here's my favourite:


These are the handles on our fireplace tools. Usually I hate them. The holder takes up a lot of space and wood, though economical, is a very dirty way to heat. But just now I'm appreciating their curves and lines and this particular angle (which cleverly disguises the mess!).

Then this morning I did it again! Went to HSMSHS and saw that the prompt was "sport" and immediately started having a little fit in my head, as we're none of us into sports at all. I thought I was going to have to dig into the summer photos, but remembered the experience of yesterday. I asked the kids at breakfast: "what could I photograph for sports?" and they had a ton of ideas. Once they got me started, I began remembering more and more sports equipment we have (and use!). I took a few shots and decided I like this one the best:



These are Sweetpea's new skates, still in the box, waiting for her skating term to start at school (next week!). She's got weak ankles like her mom, and the one time I took her skating last year was a disaster, so I tried to talk her into hockey skates (they have a lot more ankle support) but she wasn't having it. Nothing would do but the pretty white figure skates. So they're sitting waiting for her to discover hidden talents, while her mom discovers there's more in her space than she ever dreamed!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the picture of the skates! I, too, could think of nothing for today's pic but this was GENIUS!! I have 4 brand new pairs in boxes here as well . . . still need to be sharpened and everything. I'm hoping to get that done this week so that our kiddos can learn to use them before their school field trips leave them in a bundle on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your handle shot was worth all that searching. One thing that HSMSHS has taught me is if you look around you will usually find, even in a confined space. On saying all that "sport" was beyond my befuddled brain today :). Great shot of the skates, wonder what tomorrow will bring :)
    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots - amazing how you suddenly look at things with new eyes! Love the skates- something I've never mastered- but we didn't have an ice rink in Cardiff when I was young. I've just finished reading The American Boy/An unpardonable crime by Andrew Taylor. Was a very good read,very well written.

    ReplyDelete