Friday, January 2, 2009

Towel, I am so tempted to throw you...

I just had the BEST two days. A really wonderful, fun, relaxing New Year's Eve bash, followed by a really wonderful, fun, relaxing New Year's Breakfast hosted by my church. Breakfast turned into a mini piano recital, then a mad volleyball game, then lunch at McDonald's before we all finally parted ways.

Of course, I took a ton of photos.

That I'm very unhappy with.

I can't say I'm all that excited about the photos I took over Christmas either, and that's just sad.

I'm sorry, but since I first picked up a camera I have been unable to figure out how to take photos in low light settings or gymnasiums. It is my giant Achilles heel of photography. I keep trying, I keep experimenting with lenses and settings, but I have yet to hit upon that magic formula that will get me great photos.

The fact that the teenagers with cheap point and shoots who were also snapping photos like mad have already posted their photos to Facebook...photos that are WAY BETTER THAN MINE is just salt in the wound. When the camera phone photos are better, it's probably time to throw in the towel.

I've read books, I've practiced and practiced, I've listened to friends (the suggestion at the party was that I turn my ISO all the way up, and it helped a bit, but the noise is still gastly), but unless I drag my subject outdoors it seems I am a very incompetent photographer indeed.

Can you help me? What do you do to get great party photos? Be specific, what settings do you actually use? Or do you leave the dSLR at home and just take the point and shoot?

I'll be anxiously awaiting your ideas. In the meantime, I'll keep dragging my kids outside if I want a photo. Who cares if it's winter? Oh, and I think I'll be saving my pennies for an external flash. And maybe converting some of my photos to black and white.

Oh, and seeking therapy.

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up! I'm still hit and miss with low-light situations too. My only suggestion would be if you're using your flash make sure you're close enough to the person so that it's effective... but you probably know that already... some help I am! Does the 50mm give you any better shots? It's supposed to be better in low light situations, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are NOT allowed to throw in the towel, you are too good. AND, I'm sorry but NO ONE get's good shots in a gymnasium because all gyms are U-G-L-Y. Yes, that's me yelling at you, you are busted. Anyways, don't worry about gyms, how often do you need pictures in them anyways??? So, keep working on perfecting your outdoor shots and using editing software and keep up with your indoor ones . . . like in your house or children's school classes . . . they are always beautiful. And, if you truly wanna be a gym photographer one day . . . then more power to you. BUT, I say forget the gym. Who wants fabulous pictures of themselves stuffing their faces at breakfast anyways? Volleyball? Those might be cool, but way cooler outdoors! So, wait for summer for those action shots and you are on your way!!!

    ReplyDelete